Michael Bisping vs. Georges St-Pierre just needs a date. According to UFC president Dana White, that date could be coming within a week.
Ever since the long-awaited return of former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre was announced last month, the mixed martial arts world has been waiting to find out when exactly St-Pierre will challenge middleweight titleholder Michael Bisping. As of right now, the title fight still does not have a date or an event attached to it.
According to UFC president Dana White, that date will be announced soon. He said that there are a few steps left until the bout will be finalized, but he expects details surrounding Bisping vs. St-Pierre to be confirmed within approximately a week.
“I’m anticipating and anxiously waiting for a day, too,” White told TSN’s Aaron Bronsteter. “We’re waiting. There’s some things we have to wait for. I’m assuming probably another week I should have a date.”
Though the initial target date was UFC 213, which will be part of this year’s International Fight Week, delays in the bout being finalized have caused doubts that the fight will occur that soon.
But White still wants Bisping vs. St-Pierre to take place on the July pay-per-view card, which is traditionally one of the biggest events of the year.
“If it’s up to me, it’ll be in Vegas, yes, July 8,” he said.
The UFC middleweight champion has become frustrated with St-Pierre, who, according to Bisping, wants to fight in the fall — not in July. Bisping has even gone as far as saying he will give St-Pierre’s title shot to top contender Yoel Romero if the ex-champ doesn’t agree to fight on a fair date.
Bisping won the championship at UFC 199 last June with an upset knockout win over Luke Rockhold. Last October, the Brit defended the belt for the first time against Dan Henderson in a rematch, defeating the MMA legend by decision.
St-Pierre has not fought since a 170-pound title defense over Johny Hendricks in 2013.